Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mellow Yellow Bumble Bee

The current theme at Catered Crop is "mellow yellow".  The challenge is to use yellow somewhere in the project: sunshine bright, lemon zest, or mellow yellow!  The part that I like so much about Catered Crop is the Pinterest board that Linda shares each week to help inspire us - check out all the yellow!  (Click on the image to go to the complete board.)



I was struck by the fact that the board has no bumble bees!!  So I had to remedy the situation with this simple little bee and honeycomb hive.

Bee Strong

I couldn't leave his little wings plain - see the sparkle!

Bee Strong close up

I have to tell you about the sequins.  Have you noticed that sequins are trendy right now?  I looked all over for multi-packs of nice sequins.  There are many, many stamp companies selling beautiful sequins, but they come in huge packs of single colors and I just don't want that many.  I found them and I ordered them but these are not them.  Later, I was digging through a box of embellies that I hadn't been in in years.  Guess what was at the bottom?  These sequins by Hero Arts - they are dated 2005 - in the world of cardmaking, that's ancient!  The moral - never, ever get rid of anything - because you just never know!

FYI - I did a little matted window like this recently and a number of people asked about it.  Just cut a small 2" square of black and punch the smaller circle out of it.  Punch the bigger circle out of your top white layer .  Line up, then adhere the black under the white!!  In this case, I also stamped the honeycomb circle on another small 2" square of white and lined it up under the "window".

I also am submitting this to the current Simon Says Stamp challenge - Anything Goes.

BIG NEWS: The downloadable Copic charts for color matches to Stampin' Up and
Papertrey Ink have been updated for the brand new Stampin' Up colors and the
most recent Papertrey Ink colors.  The link to these charts is on my side bar to the right!!
  • Stamps: Simon Says Stamp Circle Friends
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Harvest Gold, black and white
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Harvest Gold, Memento black, Copics
  • Accessories: Simon Says Stamp Talk Bubble 2, Smooch Pearlized Top Coat, Circle punches - 1 3/8" and 1 1/2"

17 comments:

  1. Super cute!! I actually have assorted sequins that came in packages of Doodlebug buttons(tidbits) from a few years ago. Those are what I use. I agree...I don't need 10 000 sequins in each colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you remedied the 'missing yellow' with your bumblebee. Absolutely adorable; and the glittery wings are CUTE! Love its little honeycomb frame, too! As for sequins, oh my, but I'm behind in the trends. My mom is a keeper of things; perhaps a call to her will help me out! Have a fantastic Saturday; and thank you for commenting on my recent cards (Wild thing - I'm silly sometimes!)
    c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute, cute, Kim ... those concentric circled sequins are fantastic ... love them! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Strong' layout!
    'Strong' colourcombo!
    'Strong' humour!
    Just kidding, your card is FAB as always!
    Bye from the Netherlands,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Kim :-) I love that you remedied the situation using 'our' bee :-) I love the colours and CAS design of this ,,, absolutely perfect :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops, I meant to add ,,, LOVE the sequins too !!! WOW !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect card! Love these yellows, and your darling bumblebee. So glad you found those squeekquins, they are sooo cool. Great card! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling card, Kim. I think that you are right, never get rid of anything in the craft department! Love those sequins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this card, Kim. Just got this set myself but haven't inked it up yet. Your card has inspired me to do just that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card! LOVE your design! Thanks for joining us for the Smon Says Stamp Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I so love, love your bumble bee! And, I love the sequins. So glad they're coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love those wonderful little treasures you have and had no clue. This is one amazing card and I love your sweet little bee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute. love the layer and details on this fun card. Thanks for the sweet words on my blog, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredibly cute! I love bumblebees and yellow. In fact, I have a Pinterest board that's nothing but yellow houses (we're painting our house yellow and white this summer). Those are just the cutest sequins. I agree, never get rid of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some cool sequins! And I never throw anything away in my craft room either :) The sparkly wings on the honeybee look cute, and I love that honeycomb window too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!