Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cocoa Is the Best!!

It's my day to post over on the Sweet 'n Sassy blog and I was thrilled when I realized that I had a football image with Cocoa mouse.

Living in a household of men, my family is very aware of the fact that it is football season!!!

Besides watching a continual loop of ESPN Sports Center and multiple preseason games (Go Broncos!), my teenage son is having an interesting experience.  He has recently transferred to a small Christian high school.  My husband, who also attended a small Christian school, warned my 6'4", 200 pound son that he would get the attention of all of the coaches (even though his "sport" is actually band!)  We visited the school about a month ago and, as we were touring, a gentlemen at the other end of the hallway saw us and practically ran down the hall saying, "Are you a new student?  Do you play football??" And now that my son is actually enrolled there, the teacher in his Theology class asks him every single morning, "Are you sure you don't play football?"

So I created this card for my son.  When he is having a down day - I'll bring out the card.  Inside it says, "You are the best (but are you sure you don't play football!!)"  It will make him smile...

Cocoa is the Best

I impressed myself a little with the pennants (I'm easily impressed).  I tend to take stamps at face-value...a postage cancellation stamp is a postage cancellation stamp.  But...in this case, the curves on the postage cancellation stamp from Sweet 'n Sassy's Vintage Postcard became the folds on the pennants!!

I also brought out my favorite basic set - Grunge Borders - to do the diamonds on the green panel.  (Although since it actually is a background/border set, I wasn't particularly impressed with myself!)

My colors came from colourq:


My layout came from the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge:



  • Stamps: Sweet 'n Sassy All Star Cocoa, Vintage Postcards, Grunge Borders, sentiment from Back to School Rhubarb
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Crumb Cake, Basic Gray, Gumball Green, Bermuda Bay
  • Ink: Colorbox Frost white, Memento black, Copics (see my sidebar for a downloadable Copic chart with matches to Stampin' Up colors!)
  • Accessories: Cuttlebug Embossing, Papertrey pennant dies, Spellbinders circles, The Twinery Caribbean twine

12 comments:

  1. What a fun story Kim! Super card too, love the colored bands on the football!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't picture you having such a big son~you're so petite! What a great story and card. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim thank you for sharing your story, I love it. Good for your son staying true to himself. I agree with Marlene I don't picture you having such a big son. Fantastic card, I love that football!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute cute card for your son! I love this wonderful colour scheme, and the sweet pennents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is fabulous, Kim, and the story even better! You used a lot of imagination making this card and it shows! Your story is a great one. My son, now 35, walked on and played high school football when he was a junior. We had just returned from living in Scotland where Stephen played soccer. When the football team lost in the state finials by one point, Stephen decide he was going to be the kicker. He was 5'9" and weighed 150 lbs. He kicked off every game, made the difference by kicking extra points and field goals in hs and went on to play 5 years in college, getting his BS and MBA. Would I have chosen football for him? probably not who wants to get hit, but he, like your son was true to himself and succeeded! He still plays soccer and I am waiting to see what my grandson does! Sorry to be so long sharing this story. thanks for sharing your card and wonderful story with us at the colourQ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet Kim and I enjoyed the story behind it. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable card! I love seeing "boy" cards. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pennants are awesome and I love the little knots between each one. And I always love seeing Cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous design/colour combo/ flags etc etc. but your fun story about your son ... And the reason for the card is even better! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed with the pennants too! Love how they look. Thanks for playing along with us at ColourQ this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, I LOVE this card, because I am ready for Fall *and* for football! How cute with the banners! Thanks for playing at ColourQ (and thanks for popping by my blog!) *hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute, cute mouse! thank you for joining us at the colourQ ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!